Memes, memes, and more memes. The food blogger universe is full of them. They're great, unless you can't think of a darned thing to say.
I've just been tagged for a "Sevens" meme by Gerald at Foodite. Since seven is my lucky number AND Gerald recently posted me a super-duper Benriner slicer (my raffle prize from a Menu For Hope), I'm not gonna poop out on this one.
7 Things to Do Before I Die
1. Spend a month eating my way around Tasmania (to include at least 1 bowl of mussels per day).
2. Become fluent in Turkish.
3. Learn enough Italian to be able to converse with vendors in the mercado.
4. Buy and renovate a smallish Ottoman yali on the Bosphorus (this will require winning the lottery first, I'm afraid).
5. Put together a guide to southeast Asian food markets, from well-known city markets to more obscure rural markets (photos by Dave).
6. Attend the cheese festival in Bra, Piemonte (mouthwateringly covered in a late 2005 post at Cha Xiu Bao).
7. Relearn Thai and live another year or two in Thailand.
7 Things I Cannot Do (only 7?)
2. Deep fry.
3. Wind surf.
4. Remember names and vintages of wines I've drunk, even the incredible ones.
5. Diet (more won't than can't, admittedly).
6. Go more than 2 hours without thinking about food.
7. Stand pretentious food and wine snobs.
7 Things That Attracted Me to Blogging
1. If he/she can do it, why can't I?
2. It might motivate me to write on a regular basis.
3. It could provide a context in which to display Dave's photos.
4. It surely would relieve friends and relatives of the burden of reading my long-winded, excessively detailed emails about what I ate, where I ate it, and when.
5. It might connect me with other people like me (from the merely food-interested to the seriously food-obsessed).
6. It would prevent me from falling into a rut and eating at the same hawker stalls and coffee shops week after week.
7. It might lead to ... who knows?
7 Books I Love
1. Mo Yan, The Garlic Ballads
2. Alexandra Fuller, Don't Let's Go Down to the Dogs Tonight
3. Tim Winton, The Riders and Dirt Music (I can't choose)
4. Michael Ondaatje, Running in the Family
5. Orhan Pamuk, Istanbul
6. Jeffrey Steingarten, The Man Who Ate Everything
7. Lynn Rosetto Kaspar, The Italian Country Table
7 Things I Say Most Often
2. What's for lunch?
4. I mean, give me a break!
5. Got any preferences for dinner?
6. *%^#":_+#@^$%((@#%!*!!!!!!!! (I'm a bit of a potty mouth.)
7. It's cocktail hour!
7 Movies I Watch Over and Over
None. We have next to no films on DVD. So, 7 movies I wouldn't mind seeing again, maybe even a couple of times:
1. Reservoir Dogs.
2. Touch the Sky.
3. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
4. The Graduate.
5. Ordinary People.
6. The Sopranos, Season 1 (OK, it's a TV show and not a movie, but it's such a classic.)
7 Bloggers I'm Tagging
1. Catherine at Food Musings.
2. phizackerly at Chakrahongkies (I got the Hongkies part but what's a Chakra?).
3. boo at masak-masak.
4. Vincent at kurios.
5. fooDcrazEE at, well, foodcrazee.
6. SweeSan and/or YeeMei at Just Heavenly.
7. I just ran out of bloggers!