The least interesting thing about this blog is me. Which is why I've been hemming and hawing every since Bee at Rasa Malaysia tagged me for '5 Things You Don't Know About Me' - the latest meme to circulate in the flogger-sphere.
Navel gazing makes me cringe. But Bee's been a huge supporter of EatingAsia from early days (even if she logs on only for the photos - gotcha Bee!) so I'll give it a go.
1. One of my favorite foods in the world is lima beans. A big bowlful, with lots of butter, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper, please. Dates back to the frozen Bird's Eye lima beans of my childhood, though I prefer fresh these days. Enjoyed a mighty fine bowlful last week, in Manila of all places.
2. I speak Turkish. A bit rusty (last lesson 5 years ago), but still .... My former teacher is a cookbook author. I think you can imagine how we passed much of the 'conversation' portion of my tutorials.
3. I bite my nails. Everyone's allowed a bad habit or two.
4. In a past life I was an academic, with two Master's degrees, a couple years of fieldwork, and a never-finished (and never-TO-be-finished) dissertation to my name. Neither of my fields have a whit to do with food, but it's food (and the encouragement of my Turkish teacher) that diverted me from the path to professor-dom.
5. Dave and I have been chowing together for - get this - almost twenty-three years. (Awwwwww....isn't that sweet?)
Rather than tag five other bloggers, I'm issuing an open invitation to any who also wish to engage in a bit of self-focused nattering. Consider yourself tagged.
Back to proper posting, with photos, tomorrow. I promise.